I hope everyone enjoyed Presidents’ Day! This long weekend was spent repurposing the rooms in my home and starting one of many DIY projects. With the help of my patient SO and my extremely supportive parents we moved nine pieces of large furniture from one floor to another, started a bathroom renovation, and cleaned up the mess until the To Be Continued episode planned for next weekend. I am pleased that each room has a dedicated purpose (or two)! Here is how the home is now laid out, top to bottom:
3rd Floor – Master Bedroom and Bath
2nd Floor Front – Guest Bedroom, Linen Closet
2nd Floor Rear – Office, Rehearsal Studio, Craft Room
2nd Floor Bathroom – General/Guest Bathroom, Laundry
1st Floor – Living Room, Kitchen, Dining Area
Basement – Creepy Crawly Chambre, but eventual Workshop, Utility Storage, and Beruit Table/Poker Room!
My cats are very disgruntled and restaking their claim to the repurposed rooms by marking their territory (they’re both males). I am losing my mind keeping up with these hooligans. One has a penchant for marking on any cardboard (“ME-OW, super absorbent surface!”) he can find, and it doesn’t help that all my clothes, linens, office supplies, paperwork and toiletries are on the floor (some of which are in cardboard boxes) until I have the time to organize everything. The other loves nothing more than playing soccer with anything fragile, breakable or dangerous on dressers or counter tops. He is having a ball amidst the chaos, knocking vases, random tchotkche left in temporary places, hammers, extra strength epoxy, caulk guns, and cell phones off surfaces in one fell swoop. Whoosh! My blackberry left the safety of the countertop yesterday afternoon and hit the tiles, popping apart into multiple pieces. Both cats are on the verge of being banished to the creep crawly basement.
And of course I have home improvement ADHD, wanting to work on everything at the same time, which is inefficient and a bad thing for budgets and time management. So I am taking the top – down approach, starting with the master bathroom. Yesterday we removed the dated medicine cabinet and light fixture above the vanity.
Fun, we found out the contractors who renovated my townhouse dug a huge gaping hole 3″wx12″h in the dry wall looking for the studs and forgot to repair it, covering it with the light fixture and the medicine cabinet snug up against it. Not surprising, their handiwork has marred many places in my home (I have a enough horror stories to draft a separate blog post). We temporarily installed the new light fixture, a West Elm White Metal Triple Sconce, and the new mirror, an IKEA Grundtal. It looks better already.
Once the dry wall is repaired I will paint the bathroom, likely a very light aqua-blue, like C2’s Salty Brine. This may be paired with a coral red, since I already have red towels and accesories (see color combo inspiration). I have to go through some of the old Potterybarn and Williams-Sonoma catalogs, I remember seeing coral somewhere. I think it was Williams-Sonoma but they paired the coral with light yellow. Since this is such a cramped bathroom I thought of installing an open recessed medicine cabinet painted semi-gloss white for toiletry storage between the studs on the narrow wall to the left of the mirror and vanity. We’ll probably have to make it ourselves, so that should be interesting.
So….tah-tah for now, looking forward to getting my camera repaired so you can enjoy the ‘AFTER’ aesthetics!